Friday, August 28, 2015

Things I Needed to Know that No One Told Me

Things no one told me about radiation, but that I needed to know anyway:

1. Radiation affects your skin (I was informed of that). The health care professionals' solution is to keep the skin "hydrated and moisturized" by applying things like aquaphor and lubriderm early in treatment to prevent painful dryness, sores, cracks, and bleeding. No one mentioned that the best way to hydrate your skin is to hydrate your body. Drinking lots of water, especially with lemon or coconut water, hydrate the entire body. Including the skin. This has worked well for me thus far, and medical professionals were impressed with how well my skin looks.

2. Radiation destroys cells (this I also knew). I have felt very tired, and was especially short tempered the first week or so of radiation. I tended to notice it in my interactions with my children. Realizing this was not okay, I had an insight the other day. I was hungry. Very hungry. I was eating what I usually ate, but was still wanting another meal. Then it hit me: as the radiation destroyed cells, my body was working overtime to rebuild them. This takes energy and fuel, and I needed more fuel. So, after drinking my regular smoothie I ate a huge salad made of spinach, sauerkraut, tomatoes, cucumbers, hummus, and grilled chicken. After inhaling that I felt much better. I was also more patient with my children. As long as I eat twice as much as I normally would, I feel great and have the energy I was lacking earlier in the treatment process. 

3. Judgement has no place in cancer treatment. People come from all backgrounds and areas of life. The man who smells strongly of cigarette smoke who brings in his wife for radiation cares about her just as much as I care about my family members. Judging his visible behaviors that are directly linked to cancer is not my place. We are all on different journeys and are exactly where we need to be. 

4. Health care professionals have off days too. Overhearing patients swearing and complaining about what a nurse or other employee did or did not do hurts my heart. They are people too with feelings and are not perfect. I was told by a doctor the other day, "your day will be better than mine." I responded by saying, "you can still have a great day, it's all in what you choose." His response was, "at least you get to enjoy the sun." Cancer can be a bummer, but at times those who care for those with cancer get the but end of things. It doesn't cost anything to be kind, and at times come up with a creative origin story for a doctor's last name (yes I did this, I was waiting for a while and had to do something).

2 comments: