Saturday, August 8, 2015

The Big To-Do about Radiation

Getting set up for radiation therapy consists of four main points:

1. Imaging

2. Positioning

3. Marking

4. Attending

First, imaging is done in the form of a CT scan. These images are used to set up the border and area to get radiated. The scanner bed has NERO padding on it- on a scale of 1-10 for comfort I give it a 2. Regular CT scanner beds have padding and are at a comfort level of 6. When asked why no padding I was informed that padding or cushions lead to shifting of the body, and for positioning purposes they need the patient's body as still as possible.

Which leads us to the second point, positioning. It's best when applying radiation to one's body that the person be in the same position, the EXACT same position every time. In order to accomplish this, a mold is made if the area that needs to be in the same position. I got to lay with my arms above my head, head tilted to the right, for 10 minutes while a blue bag with chemicals in it that were hardening cooled around me. I now have a form that will follow me wherever I go for radiation. I get to lay I it every time. I feel I have a new friend.

Marking goes along with positioning. Stickers were put on and lines were drawn on me prior to positioning, and after the positioning was finished photos were taken, more lines were drawn, and I received four dot tattoos. I was just sad that they were not cool colors like pink, green or yellow. The dark blue tattoos are small and may even fade out during the course of treatment. If that happens I get more tattoos! These tattoos are used to align my body with the numbers they punched into a cool machine. 

Which brings me to attending. Now, I get to attend the rest of the radiation therapy appointments. I guess this whole set up thing isn't much good if I don't show up for them. As a bonus they are short, with only a few minutes of radiation a day. 

Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment