Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Questions

When visiting a doctor, it is important to ask questions.

It is even more important to ask important questions:

1. Why is this scan/biopsy/treatment necessary?
2. Will the information you get from this scan/biopsy influence treatment, and if so, how?
3. What are the expected side effects of this treatment?
4. Is side effect x normal?
5. I don't feel comfortable with treatment y, what else is available?
6. I understand this part, but I am not clear on this other part, will you explain it again?
7. Where can I get more information on this subject?

I don't ask doctors about diet recommendations because they typically don't know. I prefer to educate myself in that area.

Then there are the really important questions:

1. Where are you from?
2. Are you married?
3. Do you have any pets?
4. Where do your children go to school?
5. Have you ever been to Hawaii?
6. Do you like being a doctor? What is your favorite part?
7. Do you speak Chinese? (Yes, I really asked my doctor this, and he only speaks a little)
8. Where do you like to go on vacation?

These may seem silly, but I have found that getting to know my doctor as a person makes it much easier to talk about confusing or new medical terms and concepts. I feel much more comfortable calling with questions, and even joking with him.

So ask questions...you will be surprised at the connections you make.


No comments:

Post a Comment