Saturday, November 2, 2013

Health and Cancer

One of the things I learned while pursuing a masters degree in health is that one must be wise in looking into health and nutrition. There are many conflicting ideas, most with supporting evidence.

But sometimes I fear my concern in seeking for "valuable and accurate" health information leads me away from valuable health information. Sure, method x or ideology y may not have 100 research studied to back them up, but there is evidence to support them as worthwhile practices.

I find it takes real humility and openness to consider things that are not mainstream. To really look at the whole person: emotionally, mentally, spiritually, and physically. It takes an open mind to look into traditionally Eastern ideas and methods of care. 

Our Western medicine has many great aspects, but I feel that it is limited. There is more I can do. More ways to heal, and more levels in which to learn. I have found great benefits by considering dietary changes, mental and emotional changes, meditation, and by looking at myself as more than just a physical being.

I learned many things in graduate school, not the least of which was how to rewrite. However, I don't want my very Western education, and way of looking at things through the eyes of a researcher, to limit my ability to find valuable and worthwhile health information. I want to be open to treatment and ideas that address the underline illness that caused or allowed this cancer to grow in the first place.

Therein is power. Therein is change. Therein is hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment